Ir al contenido
Point of Interest

Audley End Miniature Railway and Enchanted Fairy and Elf Walk

Recomendado por 4 habitantes locales ·

Consejos de residentes locales

Stevie
Stevie
September 6, 2019
Great for smaller children. They have events in during holidays. 10 minute drive.
Jason
Jason
May 29, 2019
One for big and little kids!
Caz
Caz
November 1, 2017
Great for smaller children under 10 who enjoy magic days out with a steam train.
Nichola
Nichola
February 29, 2016
Steam railway and Fairies

Los residentes locales también recomiendan

Restaurante
“Real stone baked artisan Italian pizza made by real Italian artisan chefs. The ambiance is lovely and the food tastes amazing. Make sure you book on a weekend because it gets full.”
  • Recomendado por 5 habitantes locales
Museum
“Mountfitchet Castle is a reconstructed Norman Castle and Village where you can experience how people used to live back in the day. They have free roaming animals on this original historic site and you can't see a wooden castle like this anywhere else. We would recommend not to go later than 2.30pm to allow enough time before closing at 5pm. This is not a place you want to rush through.”
  • Recomendado por 9 habitantes locales
Bar
“10 minute drive. Great food. Owned by Jamie’s Oliver’s parents. Not to be confused with The Cricketers Arms two doors away!”
  • Recomendado por 6 habitantes locales
Parque
“Hatfield Forest is a rare surviving example of a medieval royal hunting Forest, with over 1,000 acres of coppices and wood pasture. It has a rich and varied history stretching back over 2000 years through to the present day. Early History The Roman road, Stane Street, going towards Colchester, runs along the present northern border of the Forest. The Forest contains Portingbury Hills, a ditched enclosure in Beggarshall Coppice, shown on maps as an ancient monument. It was thought to have been an Iron Age settlement, but is now believed more likely to be of medieval origin. Early Medieval History Immediately prior to the Norman Conquest, in 1066, Hatfield Forest was owned by the King, Harold, and passed to William, after his victory. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The royal hunting Forest was created by Henry I around 1100 - royal hunting rights remained until 1446. “Forest” defined an area where deer were kept for hunting, and a special law, Forest Law, applied. The word was introduced by the Norman rulers of England as a legal term denoting an uncultivated area legally set aside for hunting by feudal nobility. It did not mean a forest as we might understand today, with densely planted trees. Trees were merely co-incidental, subsidary to the main purpose of hunting. Fallow deer, originally from Sicily, were introduced. The Medieval period Ownership passed through a succession of owners, including Robert the Bruce, the Dukes of Buckingham, the Rich family, the Parkers and the Turnors. This was a period of disputes between parties who held rights to different parts and aspects of the Forest. A rabbit warren was established, to provide an important source of meat. Remains of the Warren can still be seen. The Georgian period In 1729, the Houblon family bought the Hallingbury estate, including Hatfield Forest, for their heir, Jacob Houblon III. Following the fashion of the period, the family set about developping a detached pleasure ground in the central area, notably creating a lake, building the Shell House and planting exotic specimen trees. The renowned landscape designer Lancelot Capability Brown provided a plan for modifying the original lake. The Forest was treated by the family as an extension to Hallingbury Place and they would ride out to enjoy picnics in the Shell House and dance by the lake. The Victorian period During the 19th century, ownership of the whole area of the Forest and outstanding mineral and timber rights were consolidated. Under the benign stewardship of John Archer Houblon, the Forest was drained, and protected from conversion to agricultural use, a fate awaiting adjacent forest areas in Hainault and Epping. The Forest is bequeathed to the National Trust In 1923, the Hallingbury estate was broken up and sold off at auction. Hatfield Forest was sold to a timber merchant and he began to fell standard oaks. The Forest was however saved from further destruction by the intervention of the pioneering conservationist Edward North Buxton. He was able to begin the purchase of the Forest. He died before this was finished. The process was however completed by his family and, following his wishes, they bequeathed the Forest to the National Trust. It was opened to the public in May 1924. World War II During World War II, Elgins Coppice was used as a storage area for ammunitions for use at nearby airfields, including Stansted. The foundations of several huts can still be seen from the road, poking out through the fallen leaves. ”
  • Recomendado por 19 habitantes locales
Bar
“Really lovely country pub with large garden, great menu. You would need to drive there, about 10 mins. Opposite, the 12th century Church St Mary's is beautiful and has an amazing set on kneelers that have to be seen, works of art.”
  • Recomendado por 4 habitantes locales
Ubicación
Audley End Road Audley End Rd
CB11 4JB
Teléfono01799 542134