Flatrock House is located in the Catskill Mountains. Approximately 2.5 hour drive from New York City. Spend your time relaxing in our creative home on 8.5 acres of forever green forest. Our property runs along the Esopus Creek in the hamlet of Shandaken, NY.
We are a 7 minute drive from the town of Phoenicia.
Book vacation stay via Airbnb. If interested in a Photo/Film shoot please send us a message first as the rates and insurance requirements are different.
Originally built in 1951, our 3200 square ft house was a local bar, a disco and a casino during the 60s and 70s.
In 2015, three friends from Brooklyn purchased the property and turned it into a retro modern rustic paradise. We would love to share our home with you!
• QUICK DESCRIPTION
The house includes access to a large creek with its own private pebble beach, suitable for swimming, kayaking, tubing and fishing (Local fishing license needed). The home is surrounded by a large yard and woods, easily accessible from a local country road. Inside you will find a wood burning stove, 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, Jacuzzi tub, Wi-Fi & a huge game room with a ping pong table, TV, DVD player and Apple TV. Outdoors areas include a large dining space, fire pit with wooden benches, gas grill, basketball hoop, picnic table, a deck with table & benches, terrace and more.
• BEDROOMS & GROUPS
Our 4 bedrooms will fit a total of 8 people.
If you have an extra 1-2 people in your group - we offer a queen size airmatress for a total of 10 people. Let us know if you have questions about this before booking.
2 full bathrooms, one on each floor, 1 with Jacuzzi tub and 1 with a spa shower.
FROM THE HOUSE...
• 7 minutes (drive) from Phoenicia
• 10 minute (walk) to the Flatrock Swimming Hole
• 10 minutes (drive) from Belleayre Mountain Ski Resort.
• 25 minutes to Hunter Mountain Skir Resort.
• 35 minutes to Windham Mountain & Platekill Ski Resorts.
• More restaurant and bar options in other small towns in the area.
• Dozens of antique shops, hikes, trails, fishing and swimming.
• Other places - Woodstock, Woodland Valley, Margaretville, Roxbury, Andes, Kaaterskill Falls, Ashokan Reservoir, & Tremper Kill Reservoir, Rhinebeck, West Kill.
Most recently Flatrock has been featured in New York Magazine, as well as the following travel blogs - And North (Top 5 Winter Vacations Upstate), Inside Elsewhere, This Is The Place I Was Telling You About, A Daily Something & Samantha Wills.
Disponible para huéspedes
• Lockbox key access to the house.
• Free Parking for multiple cars
• Flat screen TV with a DVD/Blue Ray player and Apple TV (Netflix/HBOGO/NBC Live Extra and more. You might need to log in with your own subscription for some of these.)
• Board Games (chess, checkers, puzzles, uno, cards against humanity...)
• Private Creek Access & 5 lounge chairs
• 2 acres private yard & 6.5 acres of forest across the road from the house
• Wood Burning Stove Inside (firewood provided, please bring kindling)
• Outdoor Gas Grill (no access during winter)
• Outdoor Fire Pit
• Outdoor Picnic Table with Benches
• Hammock (during summer)
• Ping Pong Table
• Large Deck (1st floor) and a Terrace (2nd floor)
• Basketball Hoop
• Swimming Hole (10 minute walk from the house)
• Jacuzzi tub
• Full Chef Kitchen with pots, pans, coffee maker (drip), food processor, toaster, baking and other cooking tools, mixer, french press, and more
Otros aspectos destacables
Please carefully read our rules listed on the Airbnb Description as well as our PDF guide, which we email you after a booking. There is a ton of useful information in it. Please remember that since the house is surrounded by trees and other vegetation, in rare instances you might encounter wildlife or mice. This is something you will find in any property in the region.
Please take a minute to read through our house rules.
Most guests never have any issues if they simply follow what we ask.
1. CHECK IN /CHECK OUT
Check in - 3pm and Check Out - 11am.
The base price per night is calculated for 6 people. This is to keep the price low enough for smaller groups. Each additional guest after 6 people is charged $35 per night. 8 people are accommodated in 4 bedrooms. If you have additional 1-2 people, we have a queen size airmatress which we set up in the game room.
We love dogs! We have 2 ourselves! But dogs must be pre-approved before they are allowed in the house. A $50 dollar pet fee per dog is applied to the final booking. Bringing a dog without prior approval results in the loss of your Security Deposit. Pets are not allowed on our furniture and please keep them off the carpet on the second floor.
• Please pick up after your pet.
• Charge for not picking up pet refuse is $50.
Multiple spots are available on the gravel in front of the house.
We have 2 outside bins – recycling and a Bear Proof Garbage bin. Please put all of your perishable garbage in the Bear Proof container and make sure lid is securely shut! Monday is the only pickup day so all garbage needs to be in the bins by Sunday night.
• A charge could be added to your deposit if you forget to take the garbage on check out or do not secure the lid.
6. WOOD BURNING STOVE
Make sure the flue is open before and after using the wood stove. Please dispose of the ash when you are done and ash is no longer hot – there is a bucket behind the stove, fill it in, and take it outside, behind the small shed with firewood, you will see the ash pile. Thank you
Please let the dishwasher running on your way out.
Main house key is kept inside the lockbox on the deck at all times. There are several sets of keys in the kitchen. Lost keys are $25 per set.
9. Gas BBQ
Detailed instructions are in the PDF which will be emailed. The basics are – grill is locked in the barn, roll it in front of the barn, use, brush and clean well, lock back immediately after use. Never leave food unattended. This is to keep wildlife out including black bears.
• Leaving the grill dirty will result in $100 charge on your deposit.
10. PROPERTY DAMAGES
When you arrive, take a look around and report to us any visible damages that you see. Our management crew would have already reported anything they might have noticed from the prior guests. If you don't report anything, you assume responsibility for anything broken, that we don't know about and we might find after your stay. This will result in using your security deposit to cover whatever the damage might be.
No smoking of any kind inside the house. Feel free to smoke outside but properly dispose of your cigarette butts and be mindful you are surrounded by woods and leaves. Smoking inside the house will result in losing your security deposit.
Please keep ski equipment in the designated area under the shed, containing the firewood. Front door and laundry room have rubber shoe mats for your boots. Please don't walk around with dirty shoes. Any damages will be charged onto your security deposit.
Never turn off thermostat completely when checking out. Always leave at 55 to prevent the pipes from freezing.
Minors are not allowed to book the property, a parent is both required to be present as well as being the one making the reservations. We don't accept groups under the age of 25.
Happy to give recommendations and tips. Please ask us anything. Fastest contact is by email. A caretaker is nearby, but off the property, for emergency needs only.
We are Jennie, Nik and Ben. Three friends from Brooklyn (with origins from Bulgaria, England and the US). We love the Catskills, outdoor activities and nature; and are passionate about design and local history. We are happy to share our carefully curated "Flatrock House" with you and answer any questions about the area and your visit!