From Jun 25 to Sep 9: SUN to SUN 7 night bookings only. All other times a 2 night minimum.
Anchor House is a 4 bedroom (including a loft bedroom), 1 bath, house with a wood stove fireplace and a deck with a fantastic view of West Bay and Lake Superior. It is located downtown along the bay, with an easy walk to all the restaurants and bars.
Summer weekly booking schedule SUNDAY to SUNDAY only from June 25, to September 9. At all other times it is a 2 night minimum.
Anchor House opens in May and closes late October. Summer bookings: between the last week of June to early September bookings are weekly only running from Sunday to Sunday. At other times there is a 2 night minimum and bookings may start on any day of the week.
Anchor House, built in the 1880s, has been kept in traditional style so you can have that feeling of stepping back into the past. It has a wood parlor stove and soft bed linen for warmth and comfort Some modern amenities have been added to Anchor House for your comfort including a 42" LED flat screen TV, cable TV, and a stainless steel range. It also has a large yard for relaxing or playing.
Anchor House is one lot from the water with nothing but a couple of trees, grass and some sand between it and the water. (As a courtesy an owner of the lot situated directly behind and on West Bay and behind Anchor House currently allows renters of Anchor House recreational use of the lot and beach and to access the water. Just take the steps down the back of Anchor House, cross the foot bridge, and follow the path.*)
Anchor House's living room has a 3 seat sofa, a rocking chair, flat screen TV, cable, a DVD player, and a small collection of movies for when you are stuck indoors. Next to the living room is a sitting/parlor room, with two reading chairs, side table and the wood parlor stove - a perfect spot for reading in front of a fire. North of the sitting room is an eat-in kitchen with an extendable dining table, stainless electric range, full size refrigerator, coffee maker, pots, pans, crockery, glassware and utensils.
On the first floor of Anchor House are three of the four bedrooms. The master bedroom has a queen size bed, while the second bedroom has a water view and a full size bed. The remaining first floor bedroom has twin bunk beds. On the second floor is the loft bedroom which has two twin beds and access is by way of loft stairs. All the beds are well appointed with soft bed linen and the queen and full bed have white comforters.
The standard, seasonal and event accommodation rates include 6 people and use of the 3 bedrooms on the 1st floor (1xqueen, 1xfull, and one set of bunk beds). The loft bedroom is secured from entry unless prior arranged at an additional cost of $10 per night. Each additional person, above 6 people, attracts an additional nightly rate of $5 per person (this includes the use of the loft) to a maximum occupation of 9 people. The 9th person would be accommodated on a fold out small twin bed or the sofa bed.
The Anchor House bathroom is bright and fresh and contains a shower, toilet, sink and vanity cabinet. Your bathroom linen is all there waiting for you to use it.
Outside, on two sides of Anchor House, is an undercover porch with some comfortable seating including an old school pew. At the back of the House is a deck with a patio table and seating for dining.
The Anchor House also has a park charcoal grill for your family BBQ. There is also a small firepit in front of the deck so you can look at the fire and the view from the deck.
Please come and enjoy a relaxing stay at Anchor House in traditional style!
* The courtesy recreational land use access over the vacant waterfront lot is not a renter's right or condition of your rental and it is subject to change at any time. You do not pay for this recreational use access and it is not part of any rental of renting Anchor House. If you decide to take advantage of this currently allowed recreational land use while staying at Anchor House just take the steps down the back, across the suspended walkway over the pond, and follow the trail to the beach, and please kindly respect the land and keep it clean so future renters of Anchor House receive the same courtesy recreational use access.
CHANGE OVER DAY: From late June to early September weekly (7 nights) bookings from Saturday to Saturday. All other times 2 night minimum with change over day open.
OPEN: Anchor House is open from May to late October. Closed November to April.
INTERNET: No WiFi in Anchor House. Free WiFi internet available at various places around town, including (subject to change without notice) at the Diner a short distance away and at the Grand Marais Outfitters in town.
FROM H-77 - Travel on h-77 toward Grand Marais, go down the hill into town, turn right on Randolph St and continue on veering to the right onto Grand Marais Avenue. Follow Grand Marais Avenue for about 500 feet, and the cabin is on the left about 100 feet after the Catholic Church.
FROM H-58: Travel into town along H-58 (turns into to Carlson Street when you enter Grand Marais. Cross H-77/Main Street and head toward the bay and then swing to the right and follow Grand Marais Avenue for about 600 feet, and the cabin is on the left about 100 feet after the Catholic Church.
2 renters: perfect romantic getaway - enjoy the deck, enjoy the fireplace, enjoy the relaxation.
4 renters: perfect size and everyone can have a bedroom if they wish, bathroom sharing.
6 renters: good size with enough room to find privacy, sharing one bathroom.
8 renters: beds will all be full, tight on the bathroom usage.
9 renters: you will need a fold out bed made up and bathroom sharing will be very tight.
10 renters: can't do it.
Ten things to do around Grand Marais:
1. Visit the local restaurants: The West Bay Diner (you will wait for your food, but it is good), The Sportsmans (a real U.P. feel to it), The Dunes Saloon (the local watering hole with some really good pizza), the Breakwall Bakery and Cafe (the newest restaurant in town).
2. Swim at East Bay or West Bay beaches. Take advantage of the permitted recreational land use on the lot between Anchor House and West Bay to use the beach and swim.
3. Walk Agate Beach from the lighthouse to Sable Falls. Or walk along the road to Sable Falls west along Carlson Street and H-58, then down the side of the falls, and back to the Lake Street in town.
4. Walk the trails both east and west of Grand Marais.
5. Visit the Agate Museum and other antique and gift shops in town.
6. Thursday night is farmers' market in the town park - locals sell their homegrown and homemade goods - there are some excellent cooks living in Grand Marais.
7. See Dennis/Kim at the Grand Marais Outfitters to organize or rent a kayak, bicycles, a four wheeler, or a charter boat tour/fishing expedition.
8. Visit the log slide lookout about 13 miles west of Grand Marais off H-58.
9. Visit Pictured Rocks that is about 40 minutes west of Grand Marais off H-58.
10. Use the grill on the grass area, cook your steaks, sit on your deck and enjoy your steak with a cocktail or soda while looking out at the lighthouse and water.
Disponible para huéspedes
You will be able to access the first floor for 6 guests or less, unless you have requested and paid the additional fee for the loft located on floor 2. For guests listed as more than 6 the fee for the loft is automatically calculated in.
Atención a los huéspedes
The local caretaker, Helen Scaife, is available if you need assistance while staying. You can reach Helen at (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) – Home, or (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) - Mobile.
Otros aspectos destacables
The parlor stove is a wood burning stove. If you wish to use it please ensure you follow the directions and DO NOT permit the fire to remain in the red on the thermostat for any time. Small fires are more efficient and are safer.
Currently, guests of Anchor House have courtesy residential use access of the waterfront lot behind. The lot extends from the obvious trail to 100 feet west (toward town). If you decide to traverse and use the lot please stay on the trail and do not set up any camp on the east side of the trail on the land or beach (it is owned by a 3rd party who does not give you permission to use it). You can walk the beach along Lake Superior and the bay below the high tide mark, but remember that the property owners own down to the high water mark so they may eject you from their land if you trespass.
- House trained pets only (no puppies permitted)
- No RVs or campers permitted on property unless prior arranged
- Only pre-cut fire wood to be used in fire pit or parlor stove. Cedar and pine logs and kindling are STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
- Maximum of 9 persons only permitted on the premises.
- Anchor House may not be used by guests for any business activities or criminal activities during a stay.
- No items shall be removed from Anchor House by renter/s or their guests, other than temporary removal of towels for normal use at lake areas. All towels shall be returned to the cabin prior to the date renter vacates.
- Septic system usage: only grey water, toilet paper and personal body waste permitted in septic. All feminine hygene products shall be disposed of in trash.
- Smoking is prohibited in Anchor House. All butts shall be disposed of only in the butt can located outside, or if fully extinguished in the trash. DO NOT DROP CIGARETTE BUTTS ON THE GROUND.
- Guest/renter shall report all damages to the caretaker prior to vacating.
- Guest is liable for all damages caused by any guest or their invitee during the guest's stay.
- Guest shall indemnify owner for any and all damages or loss caused by the guest during their stay.
- Guest shall waive all actions for damages and loss during their stay against the except for wilful act by the owner or their agents.
- Check in time anytime after 3:00 pm on date of arrival.
- Check out time is 11:00 a.m.
- Owner will accept one only 30 gal bag of trash at time of vacating. Guest will either take the remainder or purchase the local trash collector's bags in the town stores and deliver it to the refuse station out on M-77.
- No fires are permitted in or on the property other than from normal use of a preinstalled fireplace or grill or within the stone circle of the fire pit.
- Guest shall contact the caretaker for all maintenance repairs. Guest shall not attempt maintenance repairs, except to mitigate damages, unless prior approval given by caretaker/owner.
- If any Guest or within the party of a Guest is cited or charged for any criminal acts while staying at the property the Guest shall immediately advise the caretaker and ensure the person cited or charged vacates the property immediately and without any agrees the Guest shall not be entitled to any refund or reimbursement for any costs or amounts paid and associated with the rental of the Ridge Road Cabin.
- Guest agrees to not disclose any entry code to the property to any third party at any time. Once Guest has vacated the property that Guest acknowledges they and their guests are no longer a renter or a guest of Anchor House and may not return to the property without further rental agreement. Any person without a valid and current rental agreement permitting access to the property at the relevant time of visitation or otherwise without permission of the owner or caretaker will be declared a criminal trespasser and criminal complaint may be made.
- Guest acknowledges that if they willfully, recklessly, intentionally or negligently damage the real or personal property at the Property they may be subject to criminal prosecution and or civil liability suits.
- Guest agrees to clean up all pet waste from the property grounds and dispose of it into the trash in sealed bags. [IF YOU CAME WITH A PET PLEASE CLEAN UP YOUR DOGGIE’S DO-DOs FROM THE YARD BEFORE YOU LEAVE.] Guest acknowledges they will do everything reasonable to minimize the effect of pets staying on the property, including cleaning up after pets and ensuring pets do not chew or scratch any furniture or fixtures on the property. The pet fee associated with pet stays covers additional usual cleaning of hair/fur, deodorizing and spraying associated with pets staying on the property. Guest agrees to notify the caretaker of any pet accidents including the location of the accidents within the property so the caretaker can ensure proper or additional cleaning of the area. Excessive and or unusual pet accidents will require the renter to reimburse $350 to the owner for a professional clean and Guest agrees to pay the same upon demand.
- Guest acknowledges that they have been advised that the area the property is located in is inhabited commonly with deer, turkeys, black bear and coyotes. Other wild animals in the Upper Peninsula areas may include, but not be limited to, wolves and cougars. The water feature down the hill behind the premises may occasionally have wild animals traversing along it. Renter acknowledges that they have been advised of this and has been encouraged to safeguard themselves, their children and pets.
- GUEST AGREES TO DISSEMINATE AND MAKE ALL GUESTS IN THEIR PARTY AND INVITEES OF THE GUEST ON THE PROPERTY DURING THE DATES OF THE GUEST'S STAY AWARE OF ALL THE CONDITIONS OF THEIR STAY.
- Guests are advised that one of the owners of the property is an attorney admitted in one or more jurisdictions in the United States. Guests are encouraged to seek their own legal advice before entering into any contract to rent Anchor House and if they do not they are representing that they have intentionally chosen to proceed without independent legal advice.
- MICHIGAN LAW SHALL BE THE CHOICE OF LAW FOR ALL SUITS, EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED IN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF AIRBNB, PERTAINING TO A RENTAL OF ANCHOR HOUSE, THE PROPERTY, THE PARTIES OR OTHERWISE ASSOCIATED WITH ANY SHORT-TERM STAY. THE GUEST ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THE DISTRICT FOR FILING ANY LAW SUITS WILL BE IN THE JURISDICTION OF THE LOCATION OF THE PROPERTY AND THE GUEST ACCEPTS THAT THEY SUBJECT THEMSELVES TO THE JURISDICTION OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN AND ALGER COUNTY BY ENTERING INTO AN AGREEMENT TO RENT THE RIDGE ROAD CABIN.