Large, private, equipped apartment with your own bathroom and attached kitchen in the lower floor of a 1922 house. Walking distance from historic downtown St. Johns, 3 gorgeous parks, 2 movie theaters, art galleries, yoga studio, food cart pod and nightlife. Big organic garden in the yard. Near University of Portland.
I love my house because of the big wild yard and ample outdoor space we have here. Set on a double lot like a lot of old houses in this part of town, there are a couple of 100+ year old trees and a natural, open feel not usually found on neighborhood streets. At night in St. Johns you can hear crickets.
Disponible para huéspedes
Guests enter on the left side of the house, by the driveway where there is a stairway down to the red door. Inside, straight ahead is a sweet little bathroom with a hand-tiled shower stall. To the left is the door to the studio bedroom and adjoining kitchen. To the right of the bathroom is a bedroom with a double bed. Furnishing is simple and the feel is clean and new.
Atención a los huéspedes
I will mostly keep to myself and respect your space while you are here. The first door on the hallway on the right is used as a treatment room and I will let you know if I need access. I normally plan to see clients there during the day when anyone that is staying is out enjoying Portland. I am a licensed massage therapist and am available if you or your travel mates would like to book at healing session as well, just let me know. If you have any questions or need anything else, I'm happy to chat & offer Portland suggestions or info. If I am away, our neighbor across the street will be available to help.
Otros aspectos destacables
I practice acoustic music often (Kirtan & Indian Classical music) and there is a piano upstairs which is sometimes played. This is of course done respectfully and usually in the mornings and evenings (not after 10 pm on weekdays or 11 on weekends) so there is a good chance of musical sounds drifting down. Other than that, this is an old house so expect normal 'folks living upstairs noises.' The house is old and creaks and moves, and speech & footsteps can be heard through furnace vents. The neighborhood is on the quiet side and your normal movements and conversations / showers etc. and living sounds won't bother us at all.
- Our home is colorful and quirky and is it's own artistic work in progress. The yard is large and wild with vegetables, flowers and herbs growing and we host some local bees. Expect the normal 'old house' sounds of people walking upstairs, my boy playing in the yard and acoustic music being practiced or played respectfully.
- The Space
- The basement apartment has it’s own entrance down a flight of outside stairs. The door opens to a hallway and shoe area and straight ahead is a bathroom with hand-tiled shower.
- The studio space includes a big open bedroom (to the left off the hall) that spills into a kitchen equipped with a full sink, small gas stove/range, fridge, counter space, coffee maker, simple cookware and a place to sit and eat. The bedroom has a queen sized bed (real mattress), wardrobe, table and dresser. It is simple and clean.
- A second smaller bedroom is off the hall to the right of the bathroom. It is equipped with a full size bed (real mattress), closet, chair and nightstand.
- You can access the house wi-fi from the apartment. cell phones also work though sometimes work a bit better outside than downstairs.
- An extra sleeping pad is available for a child, if requested and can be used on the floor.
- Getting Around
- We are close to bus line #4 (on Fessenden) and a short walk to #75 (on Lombard). If driving or going via a ride the easy way to get anywhere across town is either Columbia Blvd or St. John's 'Cathedral' bridge to get to any part of Portland by avoiding traffic/stoplight heavy streets. 15 minutes to downtown, quick and easy (by car.)
- Interaction with Hosts
- I live in the upstairs floor of the house and will mostly keep to myself though if our paths cross I'm happy to meet you and give you suggestions for fun things to do while you are in Portland! If I am away while you are here we can make sure one of the good neighbors phone numbers is available for you in case you need anything.
- If your stay is longer than a few days I may need to access the laundry and can let you know in advance.
- The key is accessed in a lockbox by the downstairs door.
- Garbage and recycling are outside next to the garage. Brown bin for trash, Blue for recycling, Green for compost/food waste. Thanks for taking trash out here for us before you leave.
I am a musician, yoga instructor & licensed massage therapist. My background is in theater and dance & media arts. I teach yoga and voice as well as Butoh dance here in Portland. I've lived in Los Angeles, New York City, Barcelona Spain, Mexico, London and Northern California... I love to travel and especially like to sink in to a culture and stay awhile. I practice and study Indian Classical music and am learning Hindi. I'm a fluent Spanish speaker. I enjoy garden fresh food, coming together in community for ceremony and sharing songs from different parts of the world. I am a mom of an amazing 11 year old!