Política de privacidad de Airbnb en China
Last Updated: January 25, 2023
Airbnb exists to help build connections between people and make the world more open and inclusive. In short—to build a world where anyone can belong anywhere. We are a community built on trust. A fundamental part of earning that trust means being clear about how we use your information and protect your human right to privacy.
1. PERSONAL INFORMATION WE PROCESS AND PURPOSE OF USE
1.1 Information Needed to Use the Airbnb Platform.
We need to collect and process personal information as follows about you when you use the Airbnb Platform. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with the services requested as illustrated under our Terms of Services, to enable the delivery of the Airbnb Platform to you and/or to secure a safe transaction and community environment including:
- Account Registration and Management. Information such as at least your phone number. Without this information, you may not create an Airbnb account, but you may still browse the Listings on Airbnb as a visitor. We may use your phone number to send you messages, updates, or security alerts about account notifications.
- Browsing and Searching for Listings. Your log data, usage information and device information such as details about how you’ve used Airbnb (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using Airbnb. We may collect this information even if you haven’t created an Airbnb account or logged in.
- Booking Services. Information such as your name, phone number, email address, booking and check-in/out information (including city, dates, time, payment amount, listing address, and other publicly available data about your listing) and names, nationalities, gender, date of birth, details of passport or national ID (including passport/national ID numbers and expiry dates) of all guests staying in the listing, are required to make reservations. Learn more.
- Hosting Services. Information such as your name, phone number, passport or national ID details, address, photos, descriptions, booking and check-in/out information (including guest details, dates, times, payment amounts) in relation to the Listing you created. If you use a Chinese corporate entity, we may further collect the name of the legal representative and person in charge, and details of applicable business licenses and permits. Learn more.
- Payment Services. Information such as your ID number, bank account or payment account information. Depending on the payment methods used, we may further collect payment information such as payment instruments used, Alipay user ID, date and time, payment amount, payment instrument expiration date, and other related transaction details.
- Messaging. Such as your message content. This information is automatically collected if you use the messaging services.
- Customer Support. Such as your account information (e.g., your name, email address and phone number) and identity information (e.g. passport/ID number and details), communications or call records with us, booking and other usage information, and other information provided by you to file a complaint or resolve a dispute.
- Enterprise Product Invitations and Account Management. Organizations that use our enterprise products may submit and receive personal information to facilitate account management and invitations to use enterprise products.
- Additional Profile Information. Such as profile photo, preferred language(s), city, and personal description. Some of this information as indicated in your account settings is part of your public profile page and will be publicly visible.
- Host/Guest Review and Rating Information. Your review content, rating and pictures uploaded by you as part of the review or rating.
- Information for Location-based Service. Geo-location Information such as precise or approximate location determined from your IP address or mobile device’s GPS depending on your device settings. We may also collect this information even when you’re not using the app if you have enabled the location permission through your settings or device permissions.
- Information for Personal and Customized Experiences. Such as your interactions with the Airbnb Platform, the pages or content you view, your search and booking history, your profile information and preferences, account information, device information, other content you submit and other actions on the Airbnb Platform. We may use these information for (i) personalizing and customizing your experience based on your preferences (learn more about how search results work and you may turn off this feature on our products) (ii) personalizing, measuring and improving our advertising, (iii) administering referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Airbnb or its third-party partners, (iv) analyzing characteristics and preferences, or (v) inviting you to events and relevant opportunities.
- Information for Marketing and Advertising. Your phone number, email address and device information to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising and other information that we think might be of interest to you if you choose to subscribe to marketing and promotional messages.
- Third-Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to the Airbnb Platform with a third party service (e.g. WeChat), you direct the service to send us information such as your registration, and profile information as controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Information Directly Collected by Hosts. Hosts may directly ask you via the Airbnb Platform, for your information such as your name, contact information, ID number or images of your government issued ID to facilitate your check-in. In such cases, Hosts are responsible for handling and using personal data of Guests and others in compliance with applicable privacy laws and our Terms, including our Host Privacy Standards.
- Other Information. Such as when you voluntarily fill in a form, add information to your account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, communicate with our customer care team and other Members, or share your experience with us. This may include health information if you choose to share it with us or details of your emergency contacts.
- these information may be needed to (i) comply with our legal obligations; (ii) safeguard public security, public sanitation, or significant public interest; (iii) facilitate criminal investigations, prosecutions, court trials, enforcement of rulings, etc.; (iv) protect significant legal rights and interests, such as the life and property of Members or other individuals, but it is difficult to obtain your consent; or
- the personal information is (i) voluntarily published by you to the general public; (ii) has been lawfully and publicly disclosed, such as legal news reports and information published by the government; and (iii) are necessary for ensuring the safe and stable operation of our products or services, such as identifying and disposing of defects in our products or services.
- Identity Verification. Information such as your phone number, ID number, and images of your government issued ID (as permitted by Applicable Law) or other identity information (as required by Applicable Law). We need this information to verify your identity to perform our platform liabilities under Applicable Law.
- Guest Registration. Information such as your name, phone number, details of passports and national IDs (including passport/national ID numbers and expiry dates) registered, booking and check-in/out information (including listing address, dates and times) and such information of any co-travelers that you provided. You need to provide this information for the purpose of guest registration which is required under Applicable Law in the hospitality industry. Learn more.
- Cyber and Transaction Security. Your account information, browsing, searching and booking records and other usage information, device information, IP address and geo-location information (such as precise or approximate location determined from your IP address or mobile device’s GPS depending on your device settings). We may also receive background check results or fraud warnings from identity verification service providers for use in our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts or detect and prevent money laundering, fraud, abuse, and security incidents. We need this personal information to fulfill our statutory obligations or to protect the property or safety of our users and the security of our systems.
- Respond to Public Health Emergencies, Safeguard Public Interests. For example, we may receive health information, including but not limited to health information related to contagious diseases (e.g. COVID-19).
- The personal information collected from other sources, such as:
- Referrals and co-travelers. If you are invited to the Airbnb Platform such as a co-traveler on a trip, the person who invited you can submit personal information about you such as your email address or other contact information. We may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) to share your trip details and facilitate trip planning, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, (iv) to facilitate your requests or for any other purpose you authorize, and (v) for purposes of guest registration.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by Applicable Law, we may receive additional information about you, such as references, demographic data or information to help detect fraud and safety issues from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive information about you and your activities on and off the Airbnb Platform, or about your experiences and interactions from our partners.
1.2 Information You Choose to Provide.
We may collect and process personal information you choose to provide to us that is optional. Without this personal information, we may not provide you extended functions of our products and services or enhanced or personalized user experience, send you advertising or marketing information, or improve our products and services, but you may still use other functions of our services that are not based on such additional personal information. You may manage such information in certain features by updating, deleting the information you provided or changing your privacy setting, turning off relevant permissions on your devices. Please contact us through the contact information provided in the 「CONTACT US」 section below if you need assistance. This information may include:
1.3 Additional Personal Information We May Collect and Process without Your Consent.
We may collect and use additional personal information without your consent where, to the extent required and/or permitted by Applicable Law,
See below examples of such purposes or personal information:
1.4 Device Permissions We Request
You may choose to grant us the following device permissions that may allow us to collect your personal information to provide our services or improve your experiences on Airbnb Platform. You may turn off these permissions by changing the privacy setting on your devices. See the list of device permissions we may request.
2. SHARING & DISCLOSURE
2.1 Sharing With Your Consent or at Your Direction.
Where you provide consent, we share your information as described at the time of consent, such as when authorizing a third-party application or website to access your Airbnb account or participating in promotional activities by Airbnb partners or third parties.
Where permissible with Applicable Law, we may use certain information about you, such as your email address, de-identify it, and share it with social media platforms, to generate leads, drive traffic to Airbnb or otherwise promote our products and services.
2.2 Sharing Between Members.
To help facilitate bookings or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information such as:
- When a booking request is made or a dispute request is submitted, certain information may be shared between Guest(s) and Host(s), including profile, name, names of any additional Guests, cancellation history, review information, age of the Guest(s) (unless prohibited by Applicable Law), results of dispute resolution (when applicable) and other information you choose to share and submit. When a booking is confirmed, additional information is shared to facilitate the trip, i.e. profile photo and phone number. When you as a Host have a confirmed booking, certain information is shared with the Guest (and the additional Guests they invite, if applicable) to coordinate your booking, such as your profile, full name, phone number, and listing address.
- When you as a Host invite another Member to host with you, you authorize that person to access and update your information and Member Content, including but not limited to certain information like your full name, phone number, Accommodation address, calendar, Listing information, Listing photos, and email address.
- When you as a Guest invite additional Guests to a booking, your full name, travel dates, Host name, Listing details, the Accommodation address, and other related information will be shared with each additional Guest.
2.3 Information You Publish in Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information.
You can make certain information publicly visible to others, such as:
- Your public profile page, which includes your profile photo, first name, description, and city.
- Listing pages that include information such as the approximate or precise location description of Accommodation or Experience, calendar availability, profile photo, certain statistics (like page views over a period of time), and additional information you choose to share or submit.
- Reviews, ratings and other public feedback.
- Content in a community or discussion forum, blog or social media post.
We may display parts of your public profile and other Content you make available to the public like Listing details on third-party sites, platforms and apps etc.
Information you share and publish on the Airbnb Platform may be indexed through third-party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your account settings.
2.4 Host Service Providers.
Hosts may use third-party services to help manage or deliver their services, such as cleaning services or lock providers. Hosts may use features on the Airbnb Platform to share information about the Guest (like check-in and check-out dates, Guest name, Guest phone number) with such third-party service providers.
2.5 Complying with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protecting our Rights.
We may disclose your information to courts, law enforcement, governmental or public authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or where disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with a valid legal request or to respond to claims asserted against Airbnb, (iii) to respond to a valid legal request relating to a criminal investigation to address alleged or suspected illegal activity, or to respond to or address any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal or regulatory liability (more information on Airbnb’s Law Enforcement Guidelines here), (iv) to enforce and agreements with Members, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Airbnb, its employees, its Members, or members of the public. For example, if permitted due to the foregoing circumstances, Host tax information may be shared with tax authorities or other governmental agencies.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon or harm to Airbnb, our Members, or expose Airbnb to a claim of obstruction of justice.
Chinese government agencies require Airbnb China to disclose host and listing information relating to China listings, and guest booking and check-in information relating to reservations in China. Similar to other hospitality or short term rental companies that do business in China, Airbnb China will disclose your information to Chinese government agencies without further notice to you.
2.6 Programs with Managers and Owners.
We may share personal information of Hosts and Guests such as booking information, and information related to compliance with applicable laws such as short-term rental laws with landlords, management companies, and/or property owners (the “Building Management”), in order to facilitate programs with Building Management. For example, guest booking and personal information, including guest contact information, may be shared with the Building Management of the building, complex, or community where a host lives and/or the listing is located, to facilitate hosting services, compliance with applicable laws, security, billing, and other services.
2.7 Host Information Provided to Airbnb for Work Customers.
If a booking is designated as being for business or work purpose and (1) is made by a Guest affiliated with an Enterprise, (2) the Enterprise is enrolled in Airbnb for Work, we may disclose information related to the booking to the Enterprise (e.g., name of the Host, Accommodation address, booking dates, Listing details, etc.) to the extent necessary for the adequate performance of Airbnb’s contract with the Enterprise and to provide the services. At the request of the Enterprise or the Guest, we may also share this information with third parties engaged by the Enterprise to provide support services.
2.8 Service Providers.
We share personal information with affiliated and unaffiliated service providers to help us run our business, including service providers that help us: (i) verify your identity or authenticate your identification documents, (ii) check information against public databases, (iii) conduct background or police checks, fraud prevention, and risk assessment, (iv) perform product development, maintenance and debugging, (v) allow the provision of the Airbnb Services through third-party platforms and software tools (e.g. through the integration with our APIs), (vi) provide customer service, advertising, or payments services, (vii) process, handle or assess insurance claims or similar claims, or (viii) facilitate non-profit and charitable activities consistent with Airbnb’s mission. These providers are contractually bound to protect your personal information and have access to your personal information to perform these tasks.
2.9 Business Transfers.
2.10 Corporate Affiliates.
To support us in providing, integrating, promoting and improving the Airbnb Platform, Payment Services, and our affiliates’ services, even if you reside in China, your personal information may be sent to and processed by our corporate family of companies that are related by common ownership or control. Some examples are:
- Sharing with Airbnb, Inc. Even if your country of residence is not the United States, your information will be shared with Airbnb, Inc. which provides the technical infrastructure for the Airbnb Platform.
- Sharing with Airbnb Payments. When you (i) book or offer any Host Service located outside China, or (ii) book a Host Service located in China where the Host resides outside of China, in order to facilitate payments, your payment information will be shared with the relevant Airbnb Payments entity.
- Sharing with Airbnb Travel LLC / Airbnb Stays, Inc. When you book or offer any Host Service located outside China, your information may be shared with Airbnb Travel LLC or Airbnb Stays, Inc. as identified in the checkout or listing process, which provides customer support and other business operation services to other Airbnb entities.
The data sharing described above is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us to enable you to list or book Host Services abroad and connect with Members abroad, and vice versa.
2.11 Integration of Third-party Services
We may perform technical inspection, testing and behavioral audits on such third-parties from time to time and require that they commit to compliance with applicable laws, regulations and agreements with us.
Here is a list of SDKs and third-party services we link to.
3. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
3.1 Analyzing Your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Airbnb Platform for reasons outlined in the 「PERSONAL INFORMATION WE PROCESS AND PURPOSE OF USE」 section of this policy, including fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, analytics, enforcing our Terms of Service and other policies, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other sites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. Occasionally we may need to manually review communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your messaging communications to send third-party marketing messages to you and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
3.2 Linking Third-Party Accounts.
You can link your Airbnb account with certain third-party services like social networks. Your contacts on these third-party services are referred to as “Friends.” When you direct the data sharing by creating this link:
- some of the information provided to us from linking accounts may be published on your public profile,
- your activities on the Airbnb Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the Airbnb Platform and/or that third-party service,
- a link to your public profile on that third-party service may be included in your Airbnb public profile,
- other Airbnb users may be able to see any Friends that you may have in common with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable,
- other Airbnb users may be able to see any schools, hometowns or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking service,
- information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes, and
- publication and display of information that you provide to the Airbnb Platform through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Airbnb Platform and the third-party service.
4. HOW WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will retain your personal information only for a limited period of time needed to fulfil the purposes of processing, unless a longer storage period is required by Applicable Law. Your personal information will be deleted or anonymized after the storage period. Subject to the applicable laws, the storage period will depend on following standards and the longest period of time shall govern.
- provide the products or services you agree to use;
- ensure the safety and quality of our products and services;
- a longer period you agree to; or
- other special agreements on the storage period.
To deliver Airbnb Platform and facilitate our global operations, you understand that we will transfer, store, and process your information within our family of companies, partners, and service providers globally. We will comply with applicable laws in these circumstances and adopt appropriate measures to make sure your personal information is sufficiently protected.
5. YOUR RIGHTS
You can exercise any of the rights described in this section consistent with applicable laws and regulations. See here for information on data subject rights requests and how to submit a request. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity and request before taking further action on your request. We will respond to your request within the time limit as required by the law.
5.1 Manage Your Information.
You can access and update some of your personal information through your Account settings. You may check the reservation center to view details of your historical trips and reviews that you’ve given or received.
5.2 Data Access and Portability.
You may request a copy of your personal information or transmission of your personal information to another service provider according to applicable laws and regulations, by contacting us through the contact information provided in the 「CONTACT US」 section below.
5.3 Data Deletion.
You may directly delete part of your personal information through your account settings or request us to delete certain types of your personal information by contacting us as set out in the 「CONTACT US」section below if:
- you have withdrawn your consent;
- the purpose of use has been sufficed, is unable to be sufficed or the personal information is no longer needed for the purpose of use;
- the personal information was processed in violation of applicable laws, regulations and agreements;
- the retention period has expired; and
- we cease operation of Airbnb. Under this circumstance, we will provide notice by reasonable means as soon as possible.
We will process your request unless otherwise required by applicable laws to retain such data. Where the data retention period is still in effect or the data deletion is technically impractical, we’ll endeavor to limit our processing to storage and take data security measures only.
Please note that if you request the deletion of your personal information:
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, we may keep information for tax, legal reporting, auditing and statutory obligations, such as to protect the property or safety of our users and the security of our systems. For example, if we suspend an Airbnb Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain information from that Airbnb Account to prevent that Member from opening a new Airbnb Account in the future.
- Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews, forum postings) will continue to be publicly visible on Airbnb Platform, even after your Airbnb Account is deleted. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Some copies of your information (e.g., log records) will remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
- Because we take measures to protect data from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time. In addition, we may not delete your personal information if it is difficult to be realized technically, but in such circumstances, we will stop processing your personal information other than storing and taking necessary security measures to protect such information.
5.4 Account Deletion
You may delete your Airbnb account directly from our mobile application. After logging into your Airbnb account, you may go to the profile page, click “setting” and “account deletion” to delete your account. Upon account deletion, we will also delete your personal information unless otherwise required by Applicable Law to retain such data. Click here to learn more about specific requirements and processes for account deletion.
5.5 Withdraw Your Consent
To the extent required by applicable laws and regulations, you may withdraw your consent to the collection and processing of your personal information by the following methods:
- Delete the personal information you provided to Airbnb by updating or managing your account settings;
- Go to “me”, “setting” and “notification” to unsubscribe from receiving marketing emails, messages, reminders or other notifications.
- Go to the “Privacy” or “Settings” on your device to turn off the permissions granted to us.
- Go to "setting" on the Airbnb mobile application on our site to turn off personalized ranking of listings.
5.6 Right to Receive Explanation
You may request that we explain the rules on our personal information processing activities. You can contact us through the contact information provided in the「CONTACT US」section below.
6. PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT MINORS
Account registration on Airbnb Platforms is only permitted for natural persons who are 18 years or older. Please notify us immediately if you are aware of persons under 18 using the platform.
If we find that personal information of minors has been provided, we will endeavor to delete the relevant personal information or, in case needed as required by applicable laws, seek parental consent as soon as possible.
We use a variety of security technologies and procedures, such as firewall, encryption, de-identification, and access control, to prevent loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure of personal information. We have passed the Multilevel Protection Scheme for cybersecurity protection. We also implement administrative measures such as designating dedicated departments or persons to protect the security of your personal information, classifying personal information, conducting privacy impact assessment, and organizing training to our personnel, to protect personal information.
In the event of a security incident, we will perform our notification obligation as required by Applicable Law, notify you of the following information: the basic information about the security incident and its potential impacts (including types of personal information leaked, lost or tampered, causes of incidents, and potential harms), the remedial measures we adopted, our advice to you regarding self-protection and risk mitigation. We will endeavor to notify you promptly via email, push information, messaging, etc., and in certain circumstances publish statements on Airbnb.
While no organization can guarantee perfect security, we are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration.
9. CONTACT US
Questions, comments and requests regarding this policy are welcomed and should be addressed to us by email.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how we process your personal information, please contact us with your requests here and we will endeavor to process your request as soon as possible and no later than 15 business days.